Maximizing your 12V power – Manually adjusting your fridge load?

Submitted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 11:53
ThreadID: 86615 Views:4331 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
This topic was provoking some interesting trains of thought as part of an overall strategy for maximizing your power levels while out travelling. I have always believed in manually adjusting the fridge load by turning it up or down according to conditions. These conditions involved the current state of the battery, the temperature of the freezer/fridge, the ambient temperature, the charging source (Vehicle alternator/solar/AC) and whether I'm stationary for a while or on the road.

I found that juggling the controls, particularly when running two fridges, was a key factor in maintaining battery charge or taking advantage of differing power sources, particularly solar. Nothing has changed now that I have moved to the big-mother 80L combo. I am certainly not adverse to actually putting a blanket over the fridge and shutting it right down overnight if the ambient conditions are right (ie; it’s a cold desert night). Others recommend turning it up high at night and then shutting it down during the day to maximize charging ability.

Of course a fridge alone is often easier to maintain and adjust than a freezer but I for one will still manually vary the load as part of an overall power management and conservation strategy. Keen to know others thoughts on this issue.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:19

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:19
Hi Mick,

My fridge strategy is to operate it at a constant temperature at the highest setting consistent with safe food storage. Fiddling with the controls only diverts my attention from more attractive pursuits. I allow the thermostat to do its job and maintain the determined set temperature.

Some time back the slider thermostat failed on my Waeco so I replaced it with a two-position switch which selects "Cold" at +4 or "Freeze" at -5.
When on "Cold" the fridge maintains +4 about halfway down the chamber and just maintains meat frozen at the bottom layer. Although I have the "Freeze" option I never need to use it. A permanent digital thermometer keeps an eye on things.

Seems to me that if it is a "cold desert night" the losses through the insulation will be so low that the fridge will run very little and there is hence no point in "shutting it right down".

Certainly agree with adding insulation if possible in high temperature ambients if convenient but maybe even better to have permanent additional insulation.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 455767

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:45

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:45
G'day there Al. I always consider the fiddling and management of the power system as part of the trip or adventure. Then again my trips are often quite remote and prolonged so I my needs might be slightly different in that I'm pretty reliant on the freezer with often a couple of months food squared away in it. This means my power demands are often high and certainly in the past, a keen watching brief and management of electrical system has been critical. Probably less so now in the new vehicle but in saying that, with regulation (and manual intervention), I can get a lot more power into my batteries particularly through solar. I’m probably less worried about appropriate food handling temperatures because the majority of my food is frozen and it never gets to a thaw situation.

Those desert nights can vary quite a bit as well. A winter night above the Tropic of Capricorn is quite often a good deal warmer than a night south of it and will always vary exactly what occurs in respect of manual adjustment. Certainly a winter’s night in the Simpson gives a greater degree of flexibility in being able to turn the fridge down or off.

Agree on the insulation and still looking at methods of improving the degree of insulation in the pods on the ute.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728704

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 14:51

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 14:51
......."as part of the trip or adventure"....... I suspected that Mick! LOL
And no reason for it not to be either.

I try to not rely on freezing even though enjoying the benefit of some at the fridge bottom. I carry everything including the bed in the back (or top) of the Troopy so I have space constraints. The fridge is a 35L Waeco so not a lot of room and no freezer compartment so I rely on vacuum packaging our meat which then does not require freezing.

I believe that the recommended fridge temperature for safe storage of food to be not above +4C so the fridge remains set at +4C with instructions to the thermostat to keep it there. So far (since I modified it) it has been obedient. It is then up to me to manage the battery charging to suit demands............... haven't fully automated that yet!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728717

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:41

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:41
We get by with a 40 litre Engel and have found we rarely need to adjust the temperature setting at all.
The fridge does have a "thermal" cover but I set it just over 1 on the dial and the fridge maintains a constant temperature.
I am that confident in it that I rarely bother to use the separate electronic temperature gauge that I bought when the fridge was new.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 455769

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:57

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:57
Yes I've found that utilising a unit fridge as well Bill. I've still got the 40 litre Engel and the 50 Litre Waeco and either will hum along quite nicely as a fridge putting little strain on the dual battery system. I suppose the big difference comes when you use it as a freezer or combo by adding a two zone. Also if you don't have a dual battery set up or inadequate batteries capacity-wise. It'll still run perfectly all day everyday if you're travelling consistantly or pulling up and plugging in at a campground but as the power requirments increase so in my respectful suggestion, does the need to be more vigilant and proactive in the fridge management stakes. Of course lots of battery alleviates this somewhat but it's at a cost (weight and $ and the ability to charge them appropriately).

I'm presuming you have a dual battery system but would your view be different if you had a single battery as many do. My cousin's a beaut for flattening the battery of the disco overnight with his Waeco. His idea of a dual battery system is having me and a set of jumper leads along. Strange attitude that..anyway.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728705

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:02

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:02
I have the same fridge but find the control little more than indicative. I use a separate digital thermometer and find they rarely agree on what temp you running but that would be because they are reading different areas within the fridge.
All a bit academic though.......the main thing is that you maintain suitable temps to avoid food poisoning etc which would not be a pleasant experience outback.
FollowupID: 728706

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:20

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:20
Yep, I tend to have two, one for the freezer section and one for the fridge compartment. Much better accuracy. $10 each at Jaycar.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728708

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:21

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:21
Hi Mick,

Yes I confess to having a multiple 12v power setup.

I have a 100Ah AGM resident in the Sidewinder Flyer which I connect the fridge to while travelling.
At camp (with the tent) I generally remove the fridge from the vehicle and connect it to a 75Ah Thumper portable battery system. An 80 watt bifold solar panel helps the Thumper cope with the moderate load of the Engel.
Both the Flyer and Thumper can be charged on the go from the vehicle alternator and my setup is sufficient that I wouldn't consider the need for a genny at all.

The primary battery is only used for the standard vehicle requirements and to power the Hema and Phone and run the UHF transceiver.

I also have a camper trailer with two 80Ah AGM's in it but I am still playing with this standard setup. The 65 litre Upright Waeco in the camper appears to draw a significant amount of power and I am not yet confident with it at this stage.
I wouldn't travel without the Engel as a "backup".

Cheers.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 728759

Reply By: Uncle-Laurie - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:03

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:03
Yeah good point Mick,

we do it now and then depending on conditions. Last weekend at the Eucumbene River we had the Evakool 60ltr sitting on the thermostat setting of 2 and it kept the fridge at no more than 3 deg all weekend as it was quite cool.
The fridge in the caravan was turned off all weekend and with a frozen bottle of ice as the main cooling sorce it kept 3.8 deg most of the weekend. On Sat morning it was - 4 outside, -1 in the van and 3 deg in the fridge! Should have slept in there instead!!

cheers Unc
AnswerID: 455773

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:19

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:19
Yep Unc, had a night in the Simpson like that. -4C outside overnight and +4C in the fridge. Damn cold! Providing they're under cover and there is no risk from critters, I will often leave food drawers partially open at night to dissipate some of the heat built up during the day. It's amazing what sort of heat can build up and be maintained residually is some parts of a vehicle(like rear storage drawers).

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728707

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 14:12

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 14:12
We have had an Engel for 16 years and only on 2 occasions have we ran it as a freezer. At all other times we have ran it as a fridge only having the thermostat set at 3 Deg and have not adjusted it at all for any trips just checked the temp with an indoor out door job to see if all is well.
We once were camped at Smiths Mill in the Grampions and it was a brass monkey night the ambiant temp being a nice minus 7 deg, brrrrr.
When I checked the engel thermometer it read 3 deg so it was warmer in the fridge than out. And yes I don't think I heard the fridge cycle on all night.
Having said all that and travelled around the block 3 times plus crossed all deserts I am one for leaving the fridge to do its own thing. As long as the beers cold.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455776

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:46

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:46
Cheers Dodger. Only time I've 4x4'd in snow was in the Grampians. My lord it can get cold down that way.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728729

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:43

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:43
Hi Mick
Looks like we are on our own in seeing the advantages .[Smile]

But they are there & WORK
PRACTICAL experience over many years has shown so.

Peter
FollowupID: 728762

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:43

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 20:43
Hi Mick

Went down this same path some time ago. Like you I prefer to monitor the battery usage , especially the fridges myself . With the onset of reliable led lighting and the little power drawn by these, my next target was fridges.
Whilst I have no problems with Engel's and the likes I changed to the Autofridge.

Being a eutectic fridge and having a larger area of cold storage they only need to run for 5 hours out of every 24. This means that in normal outback treks I turn them off once camped. Sure if the temperature of the day requires they run longer it may be bedtime before they are turned off. I also found that by insulating the fridge compartment, which is not unlike yours, that I was able to decrease the daytime running setting.

On our normal outback treks I run 2 x 40 litre autofridges , one as a freezer, and whilst they use the same power as most danfross compressor fridges , this is usually done only when the engine is running.

I think that you also have to adjust your settings according to the amount of stuff in the fridge. When ours is getting lower with more free room I find something to fill the void. This may only be water bottles etc or I have even used a damp towel in the case of the freezer.

Whilst there are some brilliant battery monitoring devises on the market, at the end of the day I still prefer the old manual turn of the dial and hands on operation

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 455827

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:49

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:49
Mick O,

I have a 50l Waeco and I fill it up with meat and keep it on freezer. In winter in places like Innamincka it is normally freezing at night and the fridge/batteries don't need a lot of maintenance. A couple of years ago in the Kimberleys and last year on trip to Cape Yorke I had to manage it very carefully. When the batteries were back in float and if there was plenty of sun, I turned the fridge to its lowest setting and in the late afternoon turned it to about -10. This way it didn't run a lot during the warm nights. When there isn't a lot of sun I leave it at -10. At -10 I keep the next few days meals in the top 3 - 4 inches where they slowly defrost over a few days but the lower meat keeps frozen solid. I also put butter and cheese in the dairy part of the fridge because that part is about 5 degrees warmer.

I also take an esky for beer, lunch foods, leftovers etc. If I can get block ice it keeps the food at around +2 degrees.

I have 200 Ah of batteries and 240 watts of solar which does the job well but I don't like letting the batteries get much below 80% SOC. If things get bad like a couple of weeks of overcast skies and rain like last year at the Cape, I booked a powered site for a couple of days to allow the solar panels to catch up.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 455839

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 08:16

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 08:16
I agree its part of the fun Mic - as part of our lightweight camping approach
we only have 1 car battery and a small fridge , and a rule for us is to turn everything off at night including fridge and let it keep itself cool from stored cold.
Can't always do this - but mostly we can.

Nothing worse than waking up with flat battery.

With a gram of ice at minus 1 holding 100 times the thermal energy of a gram of water this is easy to do and observe as frozen food begins to thaw.

No point keeping it colder than about 0 anyway.

The other half of our approach is to take nothing that really requires freezing anyway , and in a way this makes it harder because nothing is thawing out and I don't like to rely on secondary measures like thermometers.

Best test then is to sip a little chardonay which we like nice and cold.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455852

Follow Up By: AGY - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 22:56

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 22:56
I dont know where you got the information that "a gram of ice at minus 1 holding 100 times the thermal energy of a gram of water". The specific heat capacity of water is 4.2 kJ/kg/K and ice is 2.1 kJ/kg/K. This means that ice holds half the heat that water does. This makes sense because ice is less dense than water as it floats.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 728900

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:08

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:08
Hi Andrew

The energy storage exists in the latent heat of fusion.

It is required to change the state of ice from solid to liquid - known as a phase change.

This characteristic of phase change materials is used to store large amounts of energy efficently i.e. in the conversion of water to ice ,for later release as ice back to water.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 728910

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:25

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:25
Hi Andrew

Robin has it right , basic science !!

Same principle is used in eutectic fridges

You are not looking in the right direction
Peter

FollowupID: 728928

Follow Up By: AGY - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 17:34

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 17:34
Yes you are right. I was forgetting about the latent heat.
Andrew
FollowupID: 728987

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 19:26

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 19:26
The majority of the time I just plug the fridge in, set it on one & let it run. (Just like the fridge at home) The less mucking around turning things on & off the less chance there is of forgetting where it's at. If you have to play with the thermostat all the time I'd be questioning if the system is set up correctly to do the job in the first place?
On extended stays I'll monitor the voltage now & again to ensure it's all good otherwise it looks after it's self.
As I own 2 Autofridge's I can appreciate there is about a 10% saving to be made by running the fridge on high while driving or charging off a generator then either turning them down low or off all together. This of course only works effectively if you have a well insulated fridge (like a Trailblazer) or one with Eutectic fluid. Those with Waeco's or Engel's risk warm food & beer if they don't get the balancing act right then use as much or even more power dropping the temp back down again.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 456021

Sponsored Links